Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: etape
From French étape, from Middle French estappe, from Old French estaple (“warehouse; a place where merchants bring their wares to be sold”), from Middle Dutch stapel (“warehouse; market”). More at staple.
étape (plural étapes)
- A public storehouse.
- Supplies issued to troops on the march.
- (by extension) The place where troops on the march halt overnight.
- (by extension) The distance marched during a day.
- (historical) In Russia, a prison or stockade for the confinement of prisoners in transit.
- (cycling) A stage of a multistage bicycle race.
étape f (plural étapes)