|傍ら (most common)|
The adverb is derived from sense 5 of the noun.
- (Tokyo) か [kàtáwárá] (Heiban – )
- (Tokyo) か [kàtáwáráꜜ] (Odaka – )
- IPA(key): [ka̠ta̠ɰᵝa̠ɾa̠]
- the side of something
- a person nearby
- the area nearby; vicinity
- Synonym: そば
- a remote partially built-up area along a major highway
- in addition to…, while doing…, on the other hand…
(in addition to): かたわら can be after a noun with の, or a verb in its 連体形 (rentaikei, “attributive form”). The verb after かたわら is an additional, less emphasised action or habit compared to the action before.