Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|bing (onomat.)||bang (onomat.)|
|simp. and trad.
Graphical manipulations on 兵 (bīng, “soldier”), converting it into a similar-sounding onomatopoeia. First attested in Ming Dynasty and referred to the sound of collisions (during a fight). Later used as a transliteration of English ping pong.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): bing1 bam1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): phîn-phóng
- Min Dong (BUC): pĭng-pŏng
- Min Nan (POJ): phin-phong / phín-phóng
- Wu (Wiktionary): phin phan (T1)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese)