Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Kanji in this term|
Compound of 連用 (ren'yō, “attaching to an inflecting word”, where 用 (yō) is short for 用言 (yōgen, “inflecting word”)) + 形 (kei, “form”).
- (grammar) an inflectional category: the continuative or stem form for verbs, the adverbial form for adjectives
- This is the base form after which various conjugational endings are added, such as て (te) or ます (masu). See Appendix:Japanese verbs for more details.
- As a term describing an inherently Japanese grammatical form, 連用形 is sometimes simply transliterated. When rendered into English, the term has been translated different ways by different authors. Alternative glosses include:
- base form;
- deverbal noun;
- stem form.
- In regards to -i adjectives:
- The initial k sound of the -ku ending can be elided, in a process called ウ音便. This is often seen in Heian-era language. In modern standard Japanese, this is usually found in fossilized phrases that are often (but not always) archaic. It also remains as a dialectal feature.
- In modern Kansai dialect, an innovation has taken place where the -ku ending of the 連用形 can be dropped, as:
- Sugokunai? →sugonai?
- Isn't it incredible?
- to become higher
- 已然形 (izenkei, “realis”)
- 仮定形 (kateikei, “conditional”)
- 終止形 (shūshikei, “conclusive”)
- 未然形 (mizenkei, “irrealis”)
- 命令形 (meireikei, “imperative”)
- 連体形 (rentaikei, “attributive”)
- ^ 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, →ISBN
- ^ 1997, 新明解国語辞典 (Shin Meikai Kokugo Jiten), Fifth Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ https://www.akenotsuki.com/kyookotoba/shin.html
- Sandness, Karen (1999) The Evolution of the Japanese Past and Perfective suffixes, Center for Japanese Studies, University of Michigan, →ISBN, pages 3, 12, 42, others
- Henderson, Harold Gould (1948) Handbook of Japanese Grammar, Houghton Mifflin Co., page 12
- Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, Volume 6, University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies, 1932, page 643
- Japanese terms spelled with 連 read as れん
- Japanese terms spelled with 用 read as よう
- Japanese terms spelled with 形 read as けい
- Japanese terms read with on'yomi
- Japanese compound terms
- Japanese terms with IPA pronunciation
- Japanese lemmas
- Japanese nouns
- Japanese terms spelled with fourth grade kanji
- Japanese terms spelled with second grade kanji
- Japanese terms written with three Han script characters
- Japanese terms with usage examples