Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (institute, US) Initialism of Institute for Human Studies.
- (institute, US) Initialism of Institute for Humanist Studies.
- (service, US) Initialism of Indian Health Service (a US health agency)
- (Christianity) Monogram of ΙΗϹΟΥϹ (IĒSOuS), the Greek form of Jesus.
- IHS on the German Wikipedia.Wikipedia de
The reference to Jesus is from the first three letters of Jesus' name in Koine Greek, ΙΗΣΟΥΣ (IĒSOuS), arising perhaps circa 14th century. The interpretation as an abbreviation Iesus Hominum Salvator (“Jesus, saviour of men”) is apparently a later back-formation when the Greek was no longer remembered. (See wikipedia Christogram.)
- In hoc signo (In this sign). Commonly seen on Christian churches.
- (Christianity) Initialism of Iesus Hominum Salvator (“Jesus Savior of Men)”).
- JHS (see About Latin on consonant I/J)
- IHC, JHC (representing the medieval Greek form of sigma, Ϲ (S))