Wiktionary:Requested entries (Dutch)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- The Van Dale dictionary: http://www.vandale.nl/vandale/opzoeken/woordenboek/
- Woorden dictionary: http://www.woorden.org
- LookWayUp Dutch-English (only provides about a dozen free lookups per day per IP; paysite otherwise)
- bekleven Sticking to (Flemish), past tense of beklijven: remaining
- categismus Spelled catechismus -> Catechism
doode - done
- hemdsmouwen always used as plural, "being in hemdsmouwen"="not wearing a jacket"
- koopmanspaleizen Big houses, (used to be) inhabited by big traders (in coffee for example)
- kunstmestzakken Bags for storing artificial fertilizer
- kwakdenken ("quack thinking"); see WP; appar coined by Karin Spaink
- levensmiddel - done
- marktconform: in conformity with the market.
- mores — The link is blue because of entries for words in five other languages.
- nieuwgepensioneerden People that just got retired (very rare)
- noot (meaning something like cattle or livestock?)
- ontvlechtingsprocedure: ‘disentanglement procedure’, something bureaucratic in the Netherlands.
- orenmaffia ("mind mob"); see WP; appar coined by Karin Spaink
- presenning - tarpaulin - from French - was loaned from Dutch into a bunch of other languages
- residuariteit, residuariteitsbeginsel Principle that this particular option may only be used when all others are impossible.
- schooier roaming vagabond / moocher (?)
- shag Something to do with rolled tobacco? (also the NL site doesn't have the EN definition.)
- studentikoos typical of students
- swaffelen, zwaffelen: to strike the penis against something? See Swaffelen.