Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To expel gas loudly from the stomach through the mouth.
- My father used to belch after having a fine meal.
- To issue with spasmodic force or noise.
- Yes, we have seen the wrecked cars and the factories belching smoke and the blur of speedy automobiles crowding highways.
- Jonathan Swift
- I belched a hurricane of wind.
- Within the gates that now / Stood open wide, belching outrageous flame.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dryden to this entry?)
expel gas from the stomach through the mouth
belch (plural belches)
- The sound one makes when belching.
- (obsolete) malt liquor
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dennis to this entry?)
A belch is often considered to be louder than a burp.
sound one makes when belching