Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
buttonhole (plural buttonholes)
- A hole through which a button is pushed to secure a garment or some part of one.
- (chiefly Britain) a flower worn in a buttonhole for decoration
- (flower worn in the buttonhole for decoration): boutonniere
- To detain (a person) in conversation against their will.
2004, Philip Roth, The Plot Against America:
- Here they are, the brainless few we had been raised to pity and fear, the Stone Age oafs and the seething runts and the ominous, swaggering weightlifters, buttonholing kids like me out on Chancellor Avenue and telling us to keep our baseball bats at the ready in case we were called in the night to take to the streets [...]