Recorded since 1611, from chub (“short, thick fish species used as bait"; used metaphorically since 1558 for "lazy person”), an assibilated form of cub (“a lump, heap, mass”) and cob, from Middle English *cubbe (found only in derivative cubbel (“a block to which an animal is tethered”)), from Old Norse kubbr, kumbr (“block, stump, log”) and/or Old Norse kumben (“stumpy”), equivalent to chub + -y. Cognate with Swedish dialectal kubbug (“fat, plump, chubby”). More at chub.
- Of a person, slightly overweight, somewhat fat and hence soft.
- Obviously the chubby child was eating too much.
- Of a body part, containing a moderate amount of fat.
- It's quite normal for healthy babies to have chubby cheeks.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
chubby (plural chubbies)
- A chubby, plump person
- (LGBT slang) An overweight or obese gay man.
- (slang) A penile erection, especially when short and with a large circumference; a boner.
- Hey, Lucius, I just wanted to share a piece of personal information with you. I've got a... a chubby right now because [starts screaming] This is one of the most awesome experiences of my life!—Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby