Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To quote; to repeat, as a passage from a book, or the words of another.
- 2013 June 7, Gary Younge, “Hypocrisy lies at heart of Manning prosecution”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 18:
- WikiLeaks did not cause these uprisings but it certainly informed them. The dispatches revealed details of corruption and kleptocracy that many Tunisians suspected, but could not prove, and would cite as they took to the streets.
- (transitive) To mention; to make mention of.
- To list the source(s) from which one took information, words or literary or verbal context.
- (transitive, law) To summon officially or authoritatively to appear in court.
- 2023 August 29, “Tribal ranger draws weapon on climate activists blocking road to Burning Man; conduct under review”, in AP News:
- According to the tribe’s chairman, rangers cited five of the demonstrators, who had traveled to Nevada from New York, Washington, California and the European country of Malta. The chairman did not say what they were cited for.
quote — see quote
cite (plural cites)
- (informal) A citation.
- We used the number of cites as a rough measure of the significance of each published paper.
citation — see citation
- “cite”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “cite”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- “cite”, in OneLook Dictionary Search.
- IPA(key): /sit/
- Homophones: citent, cites, scythe, Scythe, scythes, Scythes, site, sites
- inflection of :
- “cite”, in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- cite in Gaffiot, Félix (1934) Dictionnaire illustré latin-français, Hachette
cite (plural cites)
- A city (settlement larger than a town)
- Coordinate term: toun
- (religion) A stronghold or fortress.
- (rare) The people of a city.
- IPA(key): (Spain) /ˈθite/ [ˈθi.t̪e]
- IPA(key): (Latin America) /ˈsite/ [ˈsi.t̪e]
- Rhymes: -ite
- Syllabification: ci‧te