Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: concórrer
- (transitive with a) to run for (to be a candidate in an election for a given post)
- Meu pai concorreu a presidente e perdeu.
- My father ran for president and lost.
- (transitive with a) to have the chance of winning a given prize
- Precisamos comprar dez bilhetes para concorrermos ao carro.
- We need to buy ten tickets in order to have the chance of winning the car.
- (intransitive, or transitive with com) to compete with (to strive for the same thing)
- Synonym: competir
- Ele concorrera com poucos candidatos.
- He had competed with few candidates.
- (obsolete, intransitive) to concur (to run together)
- A linha de frente concorreria até os derrotados.
- The front line would then concur towards the defeated.
- (transitive or auxiliary with para and a verb in the infinitive) to contribute to (to be a factor in the occurrence of)
- Synonym: contribuir
- Sua doação concorre para o fim da miséria.
- Your donation contributes to the end of misery.
- Concorremos para terminar o projeto.
- We contributed to finishing the project.
- (transitive with em) to coexist in, especially in disharmony
- Synonym: coexistir
- Duas religiões concorriam naquele país.
- Two religions coexisted in that country.
- (intransitive, or transitive with com) to concur with; to agree with (to have the same opinion as)
- Synonym: concordar
- Concorro com o que disseram.
- I concur with what you said.
Conjugation of concorrer (See Appendix:Portuguese verbs)