Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kənˈviːnɪəns/
- (General American) IPA(key): /kənˈvinjəns/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: con‧ve‧nience
- The quality of being convenient.
- Synonym: amenity
- Fast food is popular because of its cost and convenience.
- c. 1599–1602 (date written), William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmarke”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene vii]:
- Let's further think of this; / Weigh what convenience both of time and means / May fit us to our shape.
- Any object that makes life more convenient; a helpful item.
- 1838 (date written), L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], chapter XVII, in Lady Anne Granard; or, Keeping up Appearances. […], volume I, London: Henry Colburn, […], published 1842, OCLC 1000392275, page 223:
- ...let Fanchette come in a hackney-coach in the morning, and I will direct the housekeeper to send you something of every thing—plate, candlesticks, lamps, damask—and you won't take it amiss if we should happen to have game or poultry come up that I put that amongst the conveniences;...
- 1977, David Byrne (lyrics and music), “Don't Worry About the Government”, in Talking Heads: 77, performed by Talking Heads:
- It's over there, it's over there / My building has every convenience / It's gonna make life easy for me
- A convenient time.
- We will come over and begin the work at your convenience.
- (chiefly Britain) Ellipsis of : a public lavatory.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:bathroom
quality of being suitable, useful or convenient
anything that makes for an easier life
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- To make convenient
- These are equally viable times and I propose we alternate between the two times in order to convenience as many people as possible.