converter (plural converters)
- (generic) person or thing that converts
- (electrical engineering) device that changes voltage or frequency
- (metallurgy) retort, used in the Bessemer process, in which molten cast iron is decarburized and converted into steel by a blast of air forced through the liquid metal
- (computing) program that converts one file format to another one
- (medicine) patient with a certain condition that subsequently develops into another condition
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for converter in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)