devil is in the details
Jump to navigation Jump to search
In allusion to God is in the detail.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) The specific provisions of, or particular steps for implementing, a general plan, policy, or contract may be complicated, controversial, or unworkable.
- 1965, Newsweek, volume 65, page 173:
- Krupp already has an agreement in principle for the deal, but precise details are still being worked out by Polish officials and a Krupp bargaining team ("The devil is in the details," Beitz says).
- 1998 December 16, Alain L. Sanders, “Israel: Let the People Speak”, in Time:
- The country has developed a strong consensus for peace, but the devil is in the details over what concessions should be made.
"Detail" as a mass noun is also used instead of "details" - The devil is in the detail.
specific provisions of something may be complicated