Jump to navigation Jump to search
devolver (plural devolvers)
- A devolutionist.
- 1999, Paul Charles Light, The True Size of Government, page 55:
- It is on more traditional political attitudes where devolvers and reinventors draw on very different constituencies, creating two distinct packages of views toward government.
Learned borrowing from Latin dēvolvere (“to roll or to tumble off or down”)
- Hyphenation: de‧vol‧ver
devolver (first-person singular present devolvo, first-person singular preterite devolvi, past participle devolvido)
- to return, give back
- Vou devolver isso.
- I'll give it back.
- Synonym: retornar
- to refund, to reimburse
- Synonym: reembolsar
- to devolve
Conjugation of devolver (See Appendix:Portuguese verbs)
Borrowed from Latin dēvolvere, present active infinitive of dēvolvō (“roll or tumble off or down”). Cognate with English devolve.
devolver (first-person singular present devuelvo, first-person singular preterite devolví, past participle devuelto)
- to return, refund, restore, give back, hand back, bring back, send back etc.
- to pay back, repay (to pay an amount of money owed to another)
- to devolve
- (colloquial) to throw up, to vomit
- Synonym: vomitar
Conjugation of devolver (irregular; o-ue alternation) (See Appendix:Spanish verbs)
Selected combined forms of devolver (irregular; o-ue alternation)
These forms are generated automatically and may not actually be used. Pronoun usage varies by region.
- “devolver”, in Diccionario de la lengua española, Vigésima tercera edición, Real Academia Española, 2014
- English terms suffixed with -er (agent noun)
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- Portuguese terms borrowed from Latin
- Portuguese learned borrowings from Latin
- Portuguese terms derived from Latin
- Portuguese terms with IPA pronunciation
- Portuguese 3-syllable words
- Portuguese lemmas
- Portuguese verbs
- Portuguese verbs ending in -er
- Portuguese terms with usage examples
- Spanish terms borrowed from Latin
- Spanish terms derived from Latin
- Spanish 3-syllable words
- Spanish terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:Spanish/eɾ/3 syllables
- Spanish lemmas
- Spanish verbs
- Spanish verbs ending in -er
- Spanish irregular verbs
- Spanish verbs with o-ue alternation
- Spanish colloquialisms