Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive, originally) To divest, strip of dress or covering.
- (transitive) To remove fittings or furnishings from.
- (transitive) To take apart; to disassemble; to take to pieces.
2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. The welfare state is dismantled. Essential public services are cut so that the rich may pay less tax. […]
remove fittings or furnishings
- Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, Springfield, Massachusetts, G.&C. Merriam Co., 1967