Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- present participle of
- (informal, US, with infinitive) Ready, preparing.
- I'm fitting to go home and sleep.
1846, Lyndall Gordon, quoting Emily Dickinson, letter, quoted in Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds, published 2010:
- 'I am fitting to go to South Hadley Seminary [as Mount Holyoke was known], and expect if my health is good to enter that institution a year from next fall', she confided to Abiah.
- Ready, appropriate, or in keeping
2011 December 10, David Ornstein, “Arsenal 1-0 Everton”, in BBC Sport:
- It was a fitting scoreline on the club's landmark anniversary, and appropriate that Van Persie should get the winner.
2012 June 26, Genevieve Koski, “Music: Reviews: Justin Bieber: Believe”, in The Onion AV Club:
- And really, Michael Jackson is a more fitting aspiration for the similarly sexless would-be-former teen heartthrob, who’s compared himself to the late King Of Pop (perhaps a bit prematurely) on several occasions and sings in a Jackson-like croon over a sample of “We’ve Got A Good Thing Going” on Believe’s “Die In Your Arms.”
- A small detachable part of a device or machine.
- (engineering) A tube connector; a standardized connecting part of a piping system to attach sections of pipe together, such as a coupling
- The act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit.
- (manufacturing) The process of applying craft methods such as skilled filing to the making and assembling of machines or other products.
- (chiefly Britain) A domestic moveable piece of furniture, which can be taken along when moving out, US furnishing (see also fixture).
- the fittings of a church or study
- (uncountable) The action or condition of having fits in the sense of seizures or convulsions.
- Since her medication was changed, her fitting has got worse.
a small detachable part of a device or machine
the act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit
domestic furnishings or fixtures
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- fitting room noun