Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ɪˈlɪps/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ɪˈlɪps/, /əˈlɪps/, /iˈlɪps/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /əˈlɪps/, /ɪˈlɪps/
- Rhymes: -ɪps
ellipse (plural ellipses)
- (geometry) A closed curve, the locus of a point such that the sum of the distances from that point to two other fixed points (called the foci of the ellipse) is constant; equivalently, the conic section that is the intersection of a cone with a plane that does not intersect the base of the cone.
- oval (in non-technical use)
- (grammar) To remove from a phrase a word which is grammatically needed, but which is clearly understood without having to be stated.
- In B's response to A's question:- (A: Would you like to go out?, B: I'd love to), the words that are ellipsed are go out.
ellipse f (plural ellipses)
- “ellipse”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- “ellipse” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- “ellipse” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.