- (informal) hepatitis.
- Abbreviation of high-energy physics.
Alteration of hip.
hep (plural heps)
- (obsolete) A hip of a rose; a rosehip.
US underworld slang of unknown origin, first recorded 1908.
hep (comparative more hep, superlative most hep)
- (dated, US slang) aware, up-to-date
1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter IX:
- I was pleased, as I put him hep on the Wilbert-Phyllis situation and revealed the part he was expected to play in it, to note that he showed no signs of being about to issue the presidential veto.
- (dated, US slang) cool, hip
hep (third-person singular simple present heps, present participle hepping, simple past and past participle hepped)
- (dated, US slang) To make aware of.
I hepped him to the situation.
From Proto-Albanian *skapa, related to hap.
hep f (indefinite plural hepa, definite singular hepi, definite plural hepat)
- furrow, scratch
- ^ Orel, Vladimir (1998), “hep”, in Albanian Etymological Dictionary, Leiden, Boston, Köln: Brill, page 145