- 1 English
- 1.1 Pronunciation
- 1.2 Etymology 1
- 1.3 Etymology 2
- 1.4 Etymology 3
- 1.5 Anagrams
- 1.6 References
- 2 Albanian
- 3 Slovene
From Middle English hipe, hupe, from Old English hype, from Proto-Germanic *hupiz (compare Dutch heup, Low German Huop, German Hüfte), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱewb- (compare Welsh cysgu (“to sleep”), Latin cubāre (“to lie”), Ancient Greek κύβος (kúbos, “hollow in the hips”), Albanian sup (“shoulder”), Sanskrit शुप्ति (śúpti, “shoulder”)), from *ḱew- (“to bend”). More at high.
hip (plural hips)
- (anatomy) The outward-projecting parts of the pelvis and top of the femur and the overlying tissue.
- The inclined external angle formed by the intersection of two sloping roof planes.
- In a bridge truss, the place where an inclined end post meets the top chord.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Waddell to this entry?)
- (chiefly sports) To use one's hips to bump into someone.
- To throw (one's adversary) over one's hip in wrestling (technically called cross buttock).
- To dislocate or sprain the hip of, to fracture or injure the hip bone of (a quadruped) in such a manner as to produce a permanent depression of that side.
- To make with a hip or hips, as a roof.
From Middle English hepe, heppe, hipe, from Old English hēope, from Proto-Germanic *heupǭ (compare Dutch joop, German Hiefe, Faroese hjúpa), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱewb- (“briar, thorn”) (compare Old Prussian kaāubri (“thorn”), Lithuanian kaubrė̃ (“heap”)).
hip (plural hips)
- (slang) aware, informed, up-to-date, trendy [from early 20th c., popularized in 1960s]
2012 April 27, John Branch, “Snow Fall : The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek”, New York Time:
- Rudolph promoted Stevens Pass with restless zeal. In seven years there, he helped turn a relatively small, roadside ski area into a hip destination.
- (transitive, slang) To inform, to make knowledgeable.
1969, Iceberg Slim, Pimp, page 223:
- She went ape over Chris. She'd go downtown and come home with shopping bags loaded with fine dresses and underclothes for herself and her sisters. Later she hipped Chris to boosting
- 2009, Sean Rogers, Pynchon and comics
- The guy hips himself to so many things.