Compare German bäen; an imitative word.
- (UK) IPA(key): [bɑː]
- (US) IPA(key): [bæ], [bɑ]
- IPA(key): [bæ̰ː], [bæ̰ˀæ̰ˀæ̰ˀæ̰ˀ]
Audio (UK) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː
- Homophones: bah, bar (in some pronunciations)
baa (plural baas)
- To make the characteristic cry of a sheep.
- He treble baas for help, but none can get. - Sir Philip Sidney
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
In pronunciation, the postposition baa is assimilated by an initial yi- of a following verb to make beei-: baa yishdloh = /beeishdloh/ (I am laughing at him). This does not affect the spelling, however.