Jump to navigation Jump to search
masthead (plural mastheads)
- (nautical) The top of a mast.
- (US) A list of a newspaper or other periodical's main staff, contributing writers, publisher, circulation, advertising rates etc.
- (Britain) The title (normally in a large and distinctive font) of a newspaper at the top of the front page
top of the mast
- (nautical, transitive) To send to the masthead as a punishment.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Marryat to this entry?)
- 2009, Gregory Fremont-Barnes, Nelson's Officers and Midshipmen (page 30)
- When the ship happened to be in a warm climate, mastheading constituted a fairly mild punishment; indeed, many regarded it as rather a relief from duty. But in inclement weather the experience was most unpleasant.