Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (anatomy and zoology) Behind [From XIX C.]
- (botany and zoology) Later or subsequent [From XIX C.]
- (obsolete, architecture and zoology) Situated between two segments [From XIX C.]
- (chemistry) Having fewer molecules of water than the ortho- equivalent [From XIX C.]
- (organic chemistry) in isomeric benzene derivatives, having the two substituents in alternate positions; contrasted with ortho- and para- [From 1833]
Back-formation from metaphysics.
- transcending, encompassing
- Pertaining to a level above or beyond. For example, metadata is data that describes data, metalanguage is language that describes language, etc. [From XVII C.]
- Having analogies with metaphysics
Back-formation from metamorphism.
Back-formation from metastasis.
pertaining to a level above or beyond
having analogies with metaphysics
pathology: consequent on
anatomy, zoology: behind
botany, zoology: later or subsequent
geology: analogies and derivatives of metamorphism
chemistry: having fewer molecules of water than the ortho- equivalent
chemistry: contrasted with ortho- and para-
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- List of Ancient Greek words starting with meta-, on Perseus