Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Italian
- 3 Spanish
- (anatomy and zoology) Behind [From 19th century]
- (botany and zoology) Later or subsequent [From 19th century]
- (obsolete, architecture and zoology) Situated between two segments [From 19th century]
- (chemistry) Having fewer molecules of water than the ortho- equivalent [From 19th century]
- (organic chemistry) in isomeric benzene derivatives, having the two substituents in alternate positions; contrasted with ortho- and para- [From 1833]
botany, zoology: later or subsequent
chemistry: having fewer molecules of water than the ortho- equivalent
chemistry: contrasted with ortho- and para-
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
Back-formation from metaphysics.
- transcending, encompassing
- Pertaining to a level above or beyond. For example, metadata are data that describes data, metalanguage is language that describes language, etc. [From 17th century]
- Having analogies with metaphysics
pertaining to a level above or beyond
having analogies with metaphysics
Back-formation from metamorphism.
- (geology) Analogies and derivatives of metamorphism [From 19th century]
Back-formation from metastasis.
- (pathology) Consequent on
- List of Ancient Greek words starting with meta-, on Perseus