Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmʌŋ.ɡɹəl/, /ˈmɒŋ.ɡɹəl/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈmɑŋ.ɡɹəl/, /ˈmʌŋ.ɡɹəl/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /ˈmʌŋ.ɡɹəl/
Audio (AU) (file)
mongrel (plural mongrels)
- (often derogatory) Someone or something of mixed kind or uncertain origin, especially a dog.
- Synonyms: bitsa, bitser, (UK, Australia, New Zealand) bitzer, cur, mutt, (dialectal) tyke, Heinz 57
- Hyponym: (of a cat) moggy
- That dog is a mongrel; who knows what breed it could be!
- 2001 September 26, Anna Quindlen, “A Quilt of a Country”, in Newsweek:
- America is an improbable idea. A mongrel nation built of ever-changing disparate parts, it is held together by a notion, the notion that all men are created equal, though everyone knows that most men consider themselves better than someone.
- (slang, Australia, New Zealand) A thuggish, obnoxious, or contemptible person; (often preceded by "poor") a pitiable person.
- Synonym: bastard
- 2008, Jim Brigginshaw, Over My Dead Body, page 77,
- "Yanto bloody Evans!" Jack stuttered with rage. "Yanto bloody Evans! That... that... bloody mongrel! D'you know who he is? He's the one who knocked me back for a bit of extra timber before the roof fell in on me!"
- 2019 October 27, Natalie Wolfe, “Australia's worst serial killer's affairs with sisters-in-laws”, in New Zealand Herald:
- But somebody's got to tell these mums and dads why their kids died, why this mongrel thinks he can wipe them out like a dirty rag.
- (slang, Australia) An erect penis; an erection.
someone of mixed kind
- Of mixed breed, nature, or origin; of or like a mongrel.
- English spelling is often regarded as confusing and unpredictable due to the mongrel nature of our tongue.