Jump to navigation Jump to search
mongrel (plural mongrels)
- (often derogatory) Someone or something of mixed kind or uncertain origin; especially, a dog that is such.
- That dog is a mongrel, who knows what breed it could be!
- (slang, Australia, New Zealand) A thuggish, obnoxious, or contemptible person; (often preceded by "poor") a pitiable person.
- This poor mongrel's sitting in a bar, you see... (Maurie Fields)
- 2008, Jim Brigginshaw, Over My Dead Body, page 77,
- "Yanto bloody Evans!" Jack stuttered with rage. "Yanto bloody Evans! That... that... bloody mongrel! D'you know who he is? He's the one who knocked me back for a bit of extra timber before the roof fell in on me!"
- (something of mixed kind): bitsa, bitser or bitzer (UK, Australia, New Zealand), cur, mutt
- (contemptible or pitiable person): bastard
- moggy (of a cat)
dog of mixed breed
someone of mixed kind