Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Plateau
Borrowed from French plateau, diminutive of plat (“a plate”); see plate. Doublet of platter.
plateau (plural plateaus or plateaux)
- A largely level expanse of land at a high elevation; tableland.
- (of a varying quantity) A comparatively stable level after a period of increase.
- (dated) An ornamental dish for the table; a tray or salver.
- (sports, broadcasting) A notable level of attainment or achievement.
high, level expanse
stable, high level
plateau (third-person singular simple present plateaus, present participle plateauing, simple past and past participle plateaued)
- (intransitive) (of a varying quantity) To reach a stable level after a period of increase; to level off.
Borrowed from French plateau, diminutive of plat (“a plate”); see English plate.
plateau n (plural plateaus, diminutive plateautje n)
- plateau (level expanse of land)
- Synonym: hoogvlakte
- plateau (comparatively stable level)
- plateau (tray) (Southern)
plateau m (plural plateaux)
- flat area
- (geography) plateau
- stage (in theatre); set (of television broadcast)
- (cycling) chainring
- “plateau”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- English terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- English terms derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *pleth₂-
- English terms borrowed from French
- English terms derived from French
- English doublets
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/əʊ/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English nouns with irregular plurals
- English terms with quotations
- English dated terms
- English verbs
- English intransitive verbs
- Dutch terms borrowed from French
- Dutch terms derived from French
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Rhymes:Dutch/oː/2 syllables
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch nouns
- Dutch nouns with plural in -s
- Dutch neuter nouns
- Southern Dutch
- French terms suffixed with -eau
- French 2-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French masculine nouns
- fr:Bicycle parts