Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The process of keeping (something or someone) safe.
- Raincoats give protection from rain.
- 1879, R[ichard] J[efferies], chapter 1, in The Amateur Poacher, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., […], OCLC 752825175:
- But then I had the flintlock by me for protection. ¶ There were giants in the days when that gun was made; for surely no modern mortal could have held that mass of metal steady to his shoulder. The linen-press and a chest on the top of it formed, however, a very good gun-carriage; and, thus mounted, aim could be taken out of the window […].
- The state of being safe.
- A means of keeping or remaining safe.
- A means, such as a condom, of preventing pregnancy or sexually transmitted disease.
- (insurance) Coverage.
- Immunity from harm, obtained by illegal payments, as bribery or extortion.
- (obsolete) A document serving as a guarantee against harm or interference; a passport.
- (economics) Restrictions on foreign competitors which limit their ability to compete with domestic producers of goods or services.
- (computing) An instance of a security token associated with a resource (such as a file).
- close protection
- copy protection
- environmental protection
- Mickey Mouse Protection Act
- police protection
- protection course
- protection money
- protection proxy
- protection racket
- sun protection factor
- witness protection
process of keeping sthg safe
state of being safe
means of keeping or remaining safe
immunity from harm obtained by illegal payments, as bribery or extortion
document serving as a guarantee against harm
economics: restrictions on foreign competitors
computing: instance of a security token associated with a resource
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
protection f (plural protections)
- “protection” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).