Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The process of keeping (something or someone) safe.
Raincoats give protection from rain.
- 1879, Richard Jefferies, The Amateur Poacher, chapter1:
- But then I had the flintlock by me for protection. ¶ There were giants in the days when that gun was made; for surely no modern mortal could have held that mass of metal steady to his shoulder. The linen-press and a chest on the top of it formed, however, a very good gun-carriage; and, thus mounted, aim could be taken out of the window […].
- The state of being safe.
- A means of keeping or remaining safe.
- A means, such as a condom, of preventing pregnancy or sexually transmitted disease.
- (insurance) Coverage.
- Immunity from harm obtained by illegal payments, as bribery or extortion.
- (economics) Restrictions on foreign competitors which limit their ability to compete with domestic producers of goods or services.
- (computing) An instance of a security token associated with a resource (such as a file).
Terms derived from protection
process of keeping safe
economics: restrictions on foreign competitors
protection f (plural protections)