Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
rotation (plural rotations)
- (chiefly uncountable) The act of turning around a centre or an axis.
2013 March 1, Frank Fish, George Lauder, “Not Just Going with the Flow”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 2, page 114:
- An extreme version of vorticity is a vortex. The vortex is a spinning, cyclonic mass of fluid, which can be observed in the rotation of water going down a drain, as well as in smoke rings, tornados and hurricanes.
- The earth's rotation about its axis is responsible for its being slightly oblate rather than a sphere.
- A single complete cycle around a centre or an axis.
- Earth's moon completes a rotation every twenty-seven days or so.
- A regular variation in a sequence.
- crop rotation
- The medical resident finished a two-week rotation in pediatrics and began one in orthopaedics.
- (mathematics) An operation that a continuous isometry deformation that fixes at least one point can result in.
- The function mapping (x,y) to (−y,x) is a rotation.
- (baseball) The set of starting pitchers of a team.
- (aviation) The step during takeoff when the pilot commands the vehicle to lift the nose wheel off the ground during the takeoff roll.
turning around a centre
a single cycle of turning
rotation f (plural rotations)
- “rotation” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
|Inflection of rotation|