Borrowed from Dutch smurf (“smurf”), (via the Belgian comic De Smurfen (“The Smurfs”), a translation of French Les Schtroumpfs), from French Schtroumpf (“smurf”), probably from the military slang stroumpf (“idiot”), from German Strumpf (“one who is overweight and lazy”).
smurf (plural smurfs)
- A fictional character, a blue pixie with white stocking cap, from the media franchise The Smurfs.
- (Internet slang) A smurf account
- (computing, security) A smurf attack
- (banking) To structure a deposit; to split a large financial transaction into smaller ones so as to avoid scrutiny.
- (computing, transitive) To carry out a smurf attack against.
smurf m (plural smurfs)
- a sort of breakdancing