Armand van Raalte was an employee for the Belgian publisher of Peyo's stories who felt that schtroumpf sounded too much like German and would not catch on in the Netherlands, so he tried to find a simple word that could be used both as a noun and a verb. The result was smurf.
smurf (plural smurfs)
- (comics, fictional character) A blue pixie with white stocking cap, from the media franchise The Smurfs.
- (Internet slang) A smurf account.
- (computing, security) A smurf attack.
- (slang) Used to replace any other verb, as is typical of smurfs.
- (banking) To structure a deposit; to split a large financial transaction into smaller ones so as to avoid scrutiny.
- (computing, transitive) To carry out a smurf attack against someone.
- (comics, fictional character) smurf
smurf m (plural smurfs)