Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈkwaɪɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈkwaɪə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪə(ɹ)
- Hyphenation: ac‧quire
- (transitive) To get.
- (transitive) To gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own
- He acquired a title.
- all the riches he acquired were from hard work.
- One should acquire' as much knowledge as possible from reading.
- to acquire a skill
- to acquire decent habits and manners
- (medicine) To contract.
- (computing) To sample signals and convert them into digital values.
to gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.