- Literally: to eat cooked rice (rice being such a staple, that it extends into generality)
吃飯 (traditional, Pinyin chīfàn, simplified 吃饭)
- to eat
- tā hěn xǐhuān chīfàn
- He loves to eat.
- to have a meal
- wǒ xiǎng yuē nǐ míngtiān yīqǐ qù chīfàn, bù zhīdao nǐ yǒu méi yǒu shíjiān
- I'd like to invite you out to have a meal tomorrow, if you have the time.
- (dated) to make a living
- nǐ kào shéme chīfàn
- What do you do for a living?
- wǒ xiànzài shīyè, chúle jiāo fángzū, hái yào chīfàn a, yālì dà a.
- I'm out of work at the moment. Apart from paying rent I also have to make a living; it's very stressful.