Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Distribution
distribution (plural distributions)
- An act of distributing or state of being distributed.
- An apportionment by law (of funds, property).
- (business, marketing) The process by which goods get to final consumers over a geographical market, including storing, selling, shipping and advertising.
- The frequency of occurrence or extent of existence.
- Anything distributed; portion; share.
- our charitable distributions
- The result of distributing; arrangement.
- (mathematics, statistics) A probability distribution; the set of relative likelihoods that a variable will have a value in a given interval.
- (computing) A set of bundled software components; distro.
- (economics) The apportionment of income or wealth in a population.
- The wealth distribution became extremely skewed in the kleptocracy.
- (finance) The process or result of the sale of securities, especially their placement among investors with long-term investment strategies.
- (logic) The resolution of a whole into its parts.
- (printing, historical) The process of sorting the types and placing them in their proper boxes in the cases.
- (steam engines) The steps or operations by which steam is supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston: admission, suppression or cutting off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam prior to the next admission.
act of distribution or being distributed
apportionment by law of funds, property
process by which commodities get to final consumers
frequency of occurrence or extent of existence
the result of distributing; arrangement
distribution in statistics
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
distribution f (plural distributions)
- "distribution" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- distribution, dissemination
- (mathematics) a distribution, generalized function
- (statistics) a distribution
Declension of distribution