Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to shepherds; hence, relating to rural life and scenes; as, a pastoral life.
- Relating to the care of souls, or to the pastor of a church.
- pastoral duties; a pastoral letter
terms derived from pastoral (adjective)
of or pertaining to shepherds
relating to the care of souls, or to the pastor of a church
pastoral (plural pastorals)
- A poem describing the life and manners of shepherds; a poem in which the speakers assume the character of shepherds; an idyll; a bucolic.
- (music) A cantata relating to rural life; a composition for instruments characterized by simplicity and sweetness; a lyrical composition the subject of which is taken from rural life. Moore
- (religion, Christianity) A letter of a pastor to his charge; specifically, a letter addressed by a bishop to his diocese.
- (religion, Christianity) A letter of the House of Bishops, to be read in each parish.
letter of a pastor
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
pastoral m, f (masculine and feminine plural pastorals)
pastoral m, f (plural pastorales)
pastoral f (plural pastorales)