Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Provost
provost (plural provosts)
- (Scottish local government) The equivalent of mayor in some Scottish cities.
- (higher education) A senior academic administrator; sometimes called the Vice-President of Academic Affairs.
- (religion) The highest position in a monastery below an abbot.
- A prison keeper, especially in the military.
equivalent of mayor in some Scottish cities
senior academic administrator
highest position in a monastery below an abbot
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.