Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Royal
- Of or relating to a monarch or their family.
- Having the air or demeanour of a monarch.
- (nautical) In large sailing ships, of a mast right above the topgallant mast and its sails.
- royal mast, royal sail
- (boxing, military) free-for-all, especially involving multiple combatants.
- (informal) Used as an intensifier.
- a royal pain in the neck
- (of a monarch): kingly (of a king), monarchical, princely (of a prince), queenly (of a queen), regal
- (having a monarch's air): majestic, stately, regal
- (informal intensifier): major
terms derived from royal (adjective)
of or relating to a monarch or their family
majestic — see majestic
royal (plural royals)
- A royal person; a member of a royal family.
- (paper, printing) A standard printing-paper size measuring 25 inches x 20 inches.
- (dated) The Australian decimal currency (later called "dollar").
- The fourth tine of an antler's beam.
- (nautical) In large sailing ships, square sail over the topgallant sail.
- An old English gold coin, the rial.
- (military) A small mortar.
of mast and sail
- IPA: /ʁwa.jal/, X-SAMPA: /Rwa.jal/
Audio (France, Paris) (file)
- Rhymes: -al
- Homophones: royale, royales