Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Onomatopoeic of the sound made by a bird.
tweet (plural tweets)
- The sound of a bird; any short high-pitched sound or whistle.
- (Internet) An entry posted on the microblogging service Twitter.
2007 April 22, Jason Pontin, “Twitter takes instant messaging to an extreme”:
- Every few seconds, a tweet appears and vanishes somewhere on the globe.
- 2008, Wendy Chisholm, Matthew May, Universal Design for Web Applications
- For example, as you edit a tweet in Twitter, the number of characters left is updated as you type.
- 2008, Chris Seibold, Big Book of Apple Hacks
- A tweet can be received via SMS to your cell phone...
- (intransitive) To make a short high-pitched sound, like that of certain birds.
- (transitive, intransitive, Internet) To post an update to Twitter.
2012 April 19, Josh Halliday, “Free speech haven or lawless cesspool – can the internet be civilised?”, the Guardian:
- In Saudi Arabia, one of the most conservative societies, one online rebel has rocked the Islamic establishment with tweeted allegations of corruption within the ruling royal family.
to make a short high-pitched sound
internet to post an update
- "'Tweet' 2009 Word of the Year, 'Google' Word of the Decade, as voted by American Dialect Society", American Dialect Society: 2010-01-08.
tweet m (plural tweets)
- (Twitter): twit