Box on right (Traditional Chinese and Japanese kanji)
Box on left (Simplified Chinese)
There are two forms of this character (and hence derived ones): with the square in the lower left of the upper box, or with the square in the lower right of the upper box, as in the images at right.
The top section of the character turns left (◱) in PRC and Singapore, while it turns right (◲) elsewhere.
- KangXi: page 129, character 9
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1525
- Dae Jaweon: page 290, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 100, character 5
- Unihan data for U+518E
- scoop out
- tear [peel, strip, split, take] off: pare; rind; shuck; shell; hull; crack; remove;
ex) ~ bone a chicken, ~clean[bone] a fish
|For pronunciation and definitions of 冎 – see 剐.
(This character, 冎, is an ancient form of 剐.)