Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
content; calm; still; quiet; to pacify; peace; how
get; obtain; gain; proper; suitable; proud; contented; allow; permit; ready; finished; a sentence particle used after a verb to show effect; degree or possibility; to have to; must; ought to; to need to
|simp. and trad.
- (literary) how can one
- 布曰：「兄醉矣。先父棄世多年，安得與兄相會？」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 布曰：“兄醉矣。先父弃世多年，安得与兄相会？” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, circa 14th century CE
- Bù yuē: “Xiōng zuì yǐ. Xiānfù qìshì duōnián, āndé yǔ xiōng xiànghuì?” [Pinyin]
- Bu said, "You're drunk! My father passed away many years ago, how could you meet with him?"
- Implies that it cannot be done.