安 (radical 40 宀+3, 6 strokes, cangjie input 十女 (JV), four-corner 30404, composition ⿱宀女)
- KangXi: page 282, character 8
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7072
- Dae Jaweon: page 552, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 913, character 9
- Unihan data for U+5B89
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 宀 (“house”) + 女 (“a woman or a kneeling person”) – person in a kneeling position sitting on the heels at home.
A parallel stem is 宴 (OC *qeːns, “to be at ease; to rest”) (Wang, 1982; Schuessler, 2007).
Cognate with 按 (OC *qaːns, “to push down with hand”), an exoactive derivative, literally “to cause to be settled; calmed” (ibid.).
This etymology is incomplete. You can help Wiktionary by elaborating on the origins of this term.
Note: The zero initial /∅-/ is commonly pronounced with a ng-initial /ŋ-/ in some varieties of Cantonese, including Hong Kong Cantonese.
- an - literary;
- oaⁿ - vernacular.
- calm; peaceful; tranquil; quiet
- comfortable; at ease
- safe; secure
- to calm; to pacify
- to feel satisfied with
- to find a place for; to plant
- to fit; to install
- to cherish; to harbour
- to confer (a title); to bestow; to put (the blame on someone)
- how; why
- (physics) Short for 安培 (Ānpéi, “ampere”).
- A surname.
(grade 3 “Kyōiku” kanji)
- calm, peaceful
- safe, secure
- (abbreviation): ammonium
安 • (an) (hangeul 안, McCune-Reischauer an)
- Peace, peacefulness.
安 (an, yên)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text