安 (radical 40, 宀+3, 6 strokes, cangjie input 十女 (JV), four-corner 30404, composition ⿱宀女)
- 侒, 咹, 垵, 姲, 峖, 𪫲, 按, 洝, 㫨, 胺, 桉, 𤇼, 𤥃, 𥅥, 𥞬, 𫃀, 𥿽, 𬢨, 銨(铵), 鞍, 𫗒, 𩣑(䯃), 鮟(𩽾), 𠡓, 䢿, 頞, 𮪂, 鴳(𫛩), 晏, 氨, 荌, 𡋅, 案, 䀂, 䅁, 㝧, 鞌
- KangXi: page 282, character 8
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7072
- Dae Jaweon: page 552, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 913, character 9
- Unihan data for U+5B89
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 宀 (“house”) + 女 (“a woman or a kneeling person”) – person in a kneeling position sitting on the heels at home.
A parallel stem is 宴 (OC *qeːns, “to be at ease; to rest”) (Wang, 1982; Schuessler, 2007).
Cognate with 按 (OC *qaːns, “to push down with hand”), an exoactive derivative, literally “to cause to be settled; calmed” (ibid.).
Starostin reconstructs Proto-Sino-Tibetan *ʔɨāɫ (“rest”), comparing it to Mizo âwl (“to rest”) (and also noting Dhimal [script needed] (el-ka, “good”)). STEDT, however, traces the Mizo word to Proto-Tibeto-Burman *s-grwal ~ *ʔwal (“finish, loose, relax”) and did not list 安 (OC *qaːn) among its comparanda: namely 完 (OC *ɦŋoːn), 緩 (OC *ɢʷaːnʔ), 諼 (OC *qʰʷan, *qʰʷanʔ), 援 (OC *ɢʷans, *ɢʷan).
- calm; peaceful; tranquil; quiet
- comfortable; at ease
- safe; secure
- to calm; to pacify
- to feel satisfied with
- to find a place for; to plant
- to fit; to install
- to cherish; to harbour
- to confer (a title); to bestow; to put (the blame on someone)
- how; why
- (physics) Short for 安培 (ānpéi, “ampere”).
- A surname.
- (historical) A surname given to people from the Arsacid or Parthian Empire (安息 or 安國／安国)
(grade 3 “Kyōiku” kanji)
安 (hiragana あん, rōmaji an)
- calm; peaceful
- safe; secure
- easy; simple
- cheap; inexpensive
- (chemistry) ammonium
安 • (an) (hangeul 안, McCune–Reischauer an)
- Peace, peacefulness.
安: Hán Việt readings: an, yên
安: Nôm readings: yên, an, án, ăn
- Hán tự form of an (“safe; secure”).
- Hán tự form of yên (“calm; peaceful”).
Compounds derived from 安 (an)
Compounds derived from 安 (yên)