Wasei kango (和製漢語) coined by Inoue Tetsujirō as a translation of English metaphysics, with the 形而上 (xíng'érshàng) part from I Ching:
是故，形而上者謂之道，形而下者謂之器。 [Classical Chinese, trad.][▼ expand/hide]
是故，形而上者谓之道，形而下者谓之器。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: I Ching, 3rd – 2nd millennia BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Shìgù, xíng'érshàng zhě wèi zhī dào, xíng'érxià zhě wèi zhī qì. [Pinyin]
- Hence that which is antecedent to the material form exists, we say, as an ideal method, and that which is subsequent to the material form exists, we say, as a definite thing.
- metaphysics (a branch of philosophy)
- metaphysics (the world outlook and methodology opposed to dialectics)
堅持唯物辯證法，反對形而上學。 [MSC, trad.]
坚持唯物辩证法，反对形而上学。 [MSC, simp.]
- Jiānchí wéiwù biànzhèngfǎ, fǎnduì xíng'érshàngxué. [Pinyin]
- Adhere to dialectical materialism and oppose metaphysics.
- (dated) social science
- 形上 (xíngshàng)
- 玄學／玄学 (xuánxué)