Borrowed from Lao ລາວ (lāo).
Lao (countable and uncountable, plural Lao or Laos)
- (countable) A Tai ethnic group native to Southeast Asia.
- (uncountable) The official language of Laos that is closely related to Thai.
Lao (not comparable)
- Of, from, or pertaining to Laos, the Lao people or their Kra-Dai Lao language.
of, from, or pertaining to Laos, the people or their language
From Latin Laus, from Ancient Greek Λαός (Laós), likely ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *lewh₃- (“to wash”), common in hydronyms. The first vowel may have derived from an O-grade or from the zero-grade, depending on the language it was borrowed through.
- A river in Calabria
- ^ DNGI: Dizionario dei nomi geografici italiani, TEA, Torino 1992
From Hokkien 劉／刘 (Lâu).
- A surname, from Min Nan of Chinese origin.
- Lao, a person from Laos