Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Appendix:Variations of "all"
- 1 English
- 2 Estonian
- 3 Icelandic
- 4 Old Norse
- Indicates complete power or authority in an area.
- Indicates that a term applies in a general manner.
to indicate that a term applies in a general manner
- fairly, rather, decently [since the 17th century]
- (dated) very
- Ekki allfáir viðskiptavinir.
- Very many customers.
- Hyphenating compound terms prefixed with all- is allowed (same with hálf-, jafn- and lang-):
- Rather gruesome.
Category Icelandic words prefixed with all- not found
- allfár (dated, synonym mjög fár; very few)
- allgóður (dated, synonym mjög góður; very good)
- allgóður (contemporary meaning, synonym sæmilegur; decent)
- allmikill (contemporary meaning; considerable)
- allvel (dated, synonym mjög vel; very well)
- allvel (contemporary meaning, synonym þolanlega, sæmilega; reasonably)
- enginn er allheimskur ef þegja má (no one is completely stupid if they can hold their silence; see silence is golden)
- dá- (“rather, fairly, quite”)
From allr (“all”).