Jump to navigation Jump to search
- calory (dated)
calorie (plural calories)
- (nutrition) Kilogram calorie or large calorie. A unit of energy 1000 times larger than the gram calorie. It is equivalent to the gram kilocalorie, approximately 4.2 kilojoules.
- 2008, BioWare, Mass Effect (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →ISBN, →OCLC, PC, scene: Biotics: Life as a Biotic Codex entry:
- Biotics possess extraordinary abilities, but they must live with minor inconveniences. The most obvious issue is getting adequate nutrition. Creating biotic mass effects takes such a toll on metabolism that active biotics develop ravenous appetites. The standard Alliance combat ration for a soldier is 3000 calories per day; biotics are given 4500, as well as a canteen of potent energy drink for quick refreshment after hard combat.
- 2013 June 29, “A punch in the gut”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8842, pages 72–3:
- Mostly, the microbiome is beneficial. It helps with digestion and enables people to extract a lot more calories from their food than would otherwise be possible. Research over the past few years, however, has implicated it in diseases from atherosclerosis to asthma to autism.
- (physics, chemistry, obsolete) The gram calorie or small calorie, a non-SI unit of energy, equivalent to approximately 4.2 joules. This unit was widely used in chemistry and physics, being the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 °C.
- Most scientific studies are now carried out using the joule (an SI unit).
- In nutritional contexts the term calorie refers to the kilogram calorie and the term kilocalorie refers to 1000 gram calories. Thus the two terms are equivalent.
- Calorie counters, such as those on fitness bikes, use the first, more modern, definition.
- European legislation now requires foods to be labelled with the term kilocalorie.
- 15° calorie
- 20° calorie
- 4° calorie
- caloric (US)
- calorie bomb
- calorific (British)
- calorific value
- empty calorie
- food calorie
- gram calorie
- high-calorie (noun modifier)
- kilogram calorie
- large calorie
- low-calorie (noun modifier)
- mean calorie
- small calorie
- thermochemical calorie
amount of heat to raise 1 gram of water by 1 °C
- → Indonesian: kalori
calorie f (plural calories)
- “calorie”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- plural of
calorie f (plural calorii)
Declension of calorie