Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
calorie (plural calories)
- (physics and chemistry, obsolete) The gram calorie or small calorie, a non-SI unit of energy, equivalent to approximately 4.2 joules. This unit was widely used in chemistry and physics, being the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 °C.
- (nutrition) Kilogram calorie or large calorie. A unit of energy 1000 times larger than the gram calorie. It is equivalent to the gram kilocalorie, approximately 4.2 kilojoules.
2013 June 29, “A punch in the gut”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8842, page 72-3:
- Mostly, the microbiome is beneficial. It helps with digestion and enables people to extract a lot more calories from their food than would otherwise be possible. Research over the past few years, however, has implicated it in diseases from atherosclerosis to asthma to autism.
- Most scientific studies are now carried out using the joule (an SI unit).
- In nutritional contexts the term calorie refers to the kilogram calorie and the term kilocalorie refers to 1000 gram calories. Thus the two terms are equivalent.
- European legislation now requires foods to be labelled with the term kilocalorie.
- 4° calorie
- 15° calorie
- 20° calorie
- calorific value
- caloric (US)
- calorific (British)
- gram calorie
- high-calorie (noun modifier)
- kilogram calorie
- low-calorie (noun modifier)
- mean calorie
amount of heat to raise 1 gram of water by 1°C
calorie f (plural calories)
- “calorie” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- plural of