Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /kəmˈpɛɹɪsən/, /kəmˈpæɹɪsən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kəmˈpæɹɪsən/
Audio (US) (file)
- The act of comparing or the state or process of being compared.
to bring a thing into comparison with another; there is no comparison between them
- An evaluation of the similarities and differences of one or more things relative to some other or each-other.
He made a careful comparison of the available products before buying anything.
- Thomas Macaulay (1800-1859)
- As sharp legal practitioners, no class of human beings can bear comparison with them.
- (Can we date this quote?) Richard Chenevix Trench
- The miracles of our Lord and those of the Old Testament afford many interesting points of comparison.
- 1909, Archibald Marshall, The Squire's Daughter, chapterII:
- "I don't want to spoil any comparison you are going to make," said Jim, "but I was at Winchester and New College." ¶ "That will do," said Mackenzie. "I was dragged up at the workhouse school till I was twelve. […]"
- With a negation, the state of being similar or alike.
There really is no comparison between the performance of today's computers and those of a decade ago.
- (grammar) The ability of adjectives and adverbs to form three degrees, as in hot, hotter, hottest.
- That to which, or with which, a thing is compared, as being equal or like; illustration; similitude.
- (rhetoric) A simile.
- (phrenology) The faculty of the reflective group which is supposed to perceive resemblances and contrasts.
act of comparing or the state of being compared
evaluation of the similarities and differences of two (or more) things
state of being similar or alike
ability of adjectives and adverbs to form three degrees
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- comparison (instance of comparing two or more things)