Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Old French
- A sketch or account of anything in words; a portraiture or representation in language; an enumeration of the essential qualities of a thing or species.
- The act of describing; a delineation by marks or signs.
- A set of characteristics by which someone or something can be recognized.
- The zoo had no lions, tigers, or cats of any description.
- (taxonomy) A scientific documentation of a taxon for the purpose of introducing it to science.
- The type description of the fungus was written by a botanist.
- (linguistics) The act or practice of recording and describing actual language usage in a given speech community, as opposed to prescription, i.e. laying down norms of language usage.
- (linguistics) A descriptive linguistic survey.
account in words
- description in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- description in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
description f (plural descriptions)
- “description” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).