Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dregs pl (plural only)
- (collectively) The sediment settled at the bottom of a liquid; the lees in a container of unfiltered wine.
- (figuratively, the dregs) The worst and lowest part of something.
- the dregs of society
- 1826, Mary Shelley, The Last Man, volume 3, chapter 9
- Yet even now I had not drunk the bitter potion to the dregs; I was not yet persuaded of my loss; I did not yet feel in every pulsation, in every nerve, in every thought, that I remained alone of my rase - that I was The Last Man.
- The singular form dreg is far less common, but the phrase to the last dreg still has currency.
- debris, deposit, draff, dross, exuviate, feculence, grounds, grouts, lees, orts, rabble, refuse, residue, residuum, riffraff, rubbish, scum, sediment, settling, trash, loser, outcast
the worst and lowest
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.