Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Silly, especially at an inappropriate time or in an inappropriate manner.
- Of little weight or importance; not worth notice; slight.
- (law) In litigation, a lawsuit filed by a party who is aware the claim is without merit and has no reasonable prospect of success because of a lack of supporting legal or factual basis.
1996 August 31, Paul F. Waldner, President-Elect, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, “Viewpoints”, in Houston Chroniclecitation:
- There is no easy definition for the phrase 'frivolous lawsuit,' but I imagine any claim for damages where the injuries are minimal or where the basis for the defendant's liability is hard to believe, might qualify as frivolous.
- One of the major cost drivers in the delivery of health care are these junk and frivolous lawsuits.
silly; especially at an inappropriate time or in an inappropriate manner
of little weight or importance; not worth notice