From Proto-Vietic *hanʔ, from Proto-Mon-Khmer *ʔanʔ
hắn (罕, 釁)
- (derogatory or informal) he; him
- (archaic) he; him; she; her
- (chiefly Central Vietnam, familiar or informal) he; him; she; her
- This word has various connotations depending on contexts:
- As a derogatory pronoun, it refers to a man in a demeaning way.
- As an informal pronoun, it may refers to a man who is very close to you. Young girls in literary works are portrayed as people who refer to their romantic partners as hắn, in an endearing way.
- As a dialectal pronoun, it is the Central Vietnamese equivalent of nó, as it refers to any animal (including the human) in a condescending, informal way.
- (non-Central Vietnamese): nó