Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American, Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kɪln/, /kɪl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪln, -ɪl
- Note: the traditional pronunciation /kɪl/ is being increasingly replaced by the spelling pronunciation /kɪln/.
kiln (plural kilns)
- An oven or furnace or a heated chamber, for the purpose of hardening, burning, calcining or drying anything; for example, firing ceramics, curing or preserving tobacco.
oven, furnace or heated chamber
- Krueger, Dennis (December 1982). "Why On Earth Do They Call It Throwing?" Studio Potter Vol. 11, Number 1.
- To bake in a kiln.
- When making pottery we need to allow the bisque to dry before we kiln it.