Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
leapfrog (plural leapfrogs)
- (transitive) To jump over some obstacle as in leapfrog.
- (transitive) To overtake
- This new product will leapfrog the competition.
2011 January 12, Saj Chowdhury, “Liverpool 2 - 1 Liverpool”, BBC:
- Blackpool thus achieved their first double over Liverpool since the 1946-47 season but more significantly they leapfrogged their opponents in the table with a game in hand.
- (transitive, military) To advance by engaging enemy with one unit while the other moves further forward.
- (intransitive) To progress as in leapfrog.
- (law) [Especially] To appeal direct to a supreme court, omitting an intermediate court of appeal.
to jump over an obstacle
(military) to advance with one unit by engaging the enemy with another unit