Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of pouring a liquid, most often wine, in sacrifice on the ground, on a ritual object, or on a victim, in honor of some deity.
- The wine or liquid thus poured out.
- (often humorous) A beverage, especially an alcoholic one.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:alcoholic beverage
- 1997, David Foster Wallace, “A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again”, in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Kindle edition, Little, Brown Book Group:
- […] watching you, the waiters, not quite making eye-contact but scanning for any little way to be of service, plus plum-jacketed sommeliers walking around to see if you need a non-buffet libation…
act of pouring a liquid as a sacrifice
liquid poured out